Scattered ideas and thoughts...

I am currently writing the adventure for the quickstart book and since I have no major updates, I just leave some thoughts on several topics I ran during the last two weeks.

Needless to say, the first topic is Morality! Wow, another great finding: I have to thank my friend Catacomb Librarian who unearthed a post here: another fellow came to a very close concept and definition of Morality I had! Basically, Morality has to be a stat in order to have the proper importance within a framework of rules. In addition, it can modify according to the player's choices and it affects some rules in the game mechanics! This is really outstanding if I think to the solution I had in VI·VIII·X!

Second point is that I started a topic in a community asking a very simple question: "What would you expect in terms of gaming materials and support to play a new RPG?" I got only a couple of answers but some brilliant point were outlined: the first one is that I should think to add to the setting (or along with it) a part with 'seeds'... yes, nor adventures, neither campaigns! Just the opposite: short stories which can be used by the GM to launch an adventure or a hook for a plot he has in mind. That is really interesting, I have never thought about seeds... and I have so many ideas for the setting that I feel this part will come out easily. The second interesting answer is a part within the rules which explains how such a game should be run... That is really encouraging! I have this part already written on my notepad (most of it is in form of notes!) and I plan to add it in the expanded rulebook (for a simple reason: I was looking for a blind playtest and whatever I could write in such a chapter it would have been a huge bias for any reader!). Maybe I will change my mind and insert it in the core rulebook, in any case this is something already in my list!

Then, I forgot to mention that I ran a Q&A session with Dan Davenport! It was really exciting and I enjoyed it very much! There had been two negative sides though: even if it was a 2-hour session, I had not the time to write all I wanted... It was frustrating because I could not sustain the pace of the questions... If the decision were on me, the session would have lasted 12 hours at least! The second one is that we had to stop ten minutes before the end since Dan was hit by a very sad news. I felt so bad for him, he has all my sympathy!

Last but not least, I have to mention a great resource for any RPG writer, master or fan: I found with a very simple search in the net an online tool which allows anyone to create incredible maps for dungeons or detailed venues... at a professional level! The tool is Dungeon Scrawl and it enables a neophyte like me to create maps like this one:

This is the result after two or three attempts... It is extremely user friendly and generates amazing outputs (or at least according to my tastes!). There is also the option to draw dungeon in OD&D/1E style with pale blue background! And the best has not arrived yet: it is CCO! Pay attention that some pieces of art in the tool are not CC0, but a good part it is public domain.
So, my kudos to anybody put his efforts in such a great option available to anyone! Have fun!
(PS: this is a map of the quickstart, of course! Pls do not use it until I publish it!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The concept of KUP RPG (part 1)

The concept of KUP RPG (part 2)

Core Rules: what is under the hood