Project update: revised plan for 2023!

While before VI·VIII·X Core Rules publication I had a pretty clear picture in my head, after the publication I had the chance to hear the suggestions that many kind people left me on the various RPG communities where I wrote about the game.

This led me to revise the plan for this year: the proper sequence of works I had in mind was 1.Expanded rules, 2.Setting, 3.Cosmogony (and, btw, this was a really challenging plan! Two 'big' goals like the expanded rules and the setting were really a hard task to achieve!).

What I got as the main takeaway from the several discussions on the boards is that I need to better steer the communication for the playtest! I am not a marketing guy and I found a really single feedback form the market: I've already written about that in a previous post but I can't avoid to outline these aspects, in particular the second one. I am impressed by how standardized is the customers' approach: the questions are the same and the reactions as well. The 'big corps' of the industry made a pretty good job by shaping the 'demand' into a single voice so that the 'offer' could be one (and always winning!). And the paramount effect is that customers are not aware of this, they think their is still a personal opinion: that is outstanding to my eyes!

A lot of things have changed compared to the situation when I was part of the 'demand' (i.e. from mid of 80s up to the end of the century): I met a lot of people who were 'hard core RPGers' and with different needs and tastes. Now, there is probably still a share of players with these features but I either didn't meet on the web or it is so small that nobody cares for this 'minority share' (this implies that I made an error to present my game on the main RPG boards, I should look up boards where this kind of players meet!).

Ok, as usual I started a topic with a subject and I am discussing on a different one! Back to the plan: the solution I decided to try to capture some interest is a complete revision of my offer. This is what I am going to do:

  • I need firstly to prepare a 'Quickstart' product; this is essential to use as a 'business card' to present the game. I started working on it and I will likely complete it in a short timeframe... I will write more details in the next post for sure!
  • I definitely need to prepare a simple, fast-paced and clear presentation of the VI·VIII·X game; according to nearly the majority of the fellows on the boards, nobody has neither the time to read the dedicated 'deep dive' posts here nor the full text of the book... time is money and apparently nobody is rich! Seriously, I got a strong feedback on this topic: any player has to be convinced to use an RPG before to buy it (and read it) and with no loss of time. Even posts with the explanations of the most important rules in a game (like I did) are too long and time consuming... it is really an hard task! Hopefully I had some hints from a fellow of the RPGGeek boards (kudos to Jamie for his great help!) and I aim to apply all the suggestions! A new presentation of the game will be available soon on these pages!
  • I have to simplify the 'playtest organization' in order to make it even more KISS... that is not a difficult task but it is subject to the first two points which are at least time consuming!
Therefore, while I am preparing the 'Quickstart' book, I have to find a way to meet the expectations of the audience: an 'elevator's pitch' not too long but complete and detailed, possibly something interesting otherwise the reader won't get to the end of the text... a blurb short but highly detailed... that seems the requests of the Dilbert's pointy-haired boss... 
I am thinking to find a way to achieve that... It will likely take some time and iterations as I am sure I won't get it at the first attempt! Wish me luck...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The concept of KUP RPG (part 1)

The concept of KUP RPG (part 2)

Core Rules: what is under the hood