A new unscheduled idea: the original plan needs to be fixed!

I don't remember actually if I have already mentioned a fact that made me think a lot... In the first weeks of January I sent some emails to pen pals just to let them know that I published my game: iirc I wrote to 5 fellows, not a large group but to those that I am really in touch for my hobby.

I met them along my experiences of RPG collector and researcher. I got a nearly immediate answer from my friend Maarten! He said he would have bought the book and sent me a feedback... and so he did! About two weeks later, Maarten wrote me an extensive email with both congrats for my effort and (moreover!) hints, suggestions and comments on several ideas I developed.

Some of the suggestions will be part for sure in the VIII·XII·XX book (the expanded rules of VI·VIII·X). Further details will be disclosed in the next update about this book!

Some other comments made me consider that he had a very keen view on what I did: on at least 3 points he outlined, there was a single underlying concern. The point was about the effect of blending or overlapping between stand-alone rules of an RPG and concepts referred to the setting the author has in mind while writing the rules for it. The outcome is that even if I tried to keep distinct rules and setting, as a matter of fact this didn't always occur: the most evident example is the magic spellcasting chapter! 

Along with these comments Maarten proposed me to rethink some parts of the rules where I do not necessarily have to be extensive (like the Exclusive Skills chapter where I list all the ES for the sake of completeness): I could have a more 'game-desing' approach and write how an Exclusive Skill could be made up instead of the total list of the skills I have in *MY* mind.

Adding up these two comments from my friend I came to the same conclusion he got when he closed his message: it'd very interesting to build an 'universal set of rules' completely (or nearly) setting-neutral. This could foster the use of the rules in any setting by applying the guidelines to build the proper list of skills, weapons, careers and so forth in any kind of game setting: from a sci-fi up to a modern, horror or post-holocaust one! Everything would be up to the GM and his world of immagination!

I am now in touch with Maarten to see if and how we can find a way to write down in a collaborative way this new book! The positive aspect is that his highly energetic approach and very keen way to see things will help me for sure to have another product within my project. The sad part is that this is an 'unexpected journey' as it wasn't not in my plans! But being completely free to choose, I find this idea very charming and with an high potential to find people likely interested in my proposal.

As a consequence, a new revision of my plan is ongoing: as soon as I finish the quickstart, I will schedule this undertaking (assuming Maarten is available and hasn't changed his mind in the meanwhile!). 

My last words are, of course, words of gratitude towards Maarten: kudos to him! 
(the Friends page has been duly updated...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The concept of KUP RPG (part 1)

The concept of KUP RPG (part 2)

Core Rules: what is under the hood