Purpose and targets of the project

Before I get to the main points of this topic, I want to leave here an update which has impacts also on what I am going to write about purpose and targets of my project. I am ref to the topic of "meta-intelligence" vs intelligence: thanks also to the very constructive discussion on the DF boards (for those interested it is here), the final conclusion is that I will manage two stats of the game as "external" stats, belonging to the players and not affecting the game mechanics. This of course means a revision of the core rules in some points (I think I have identified where but I need to go through the whole text another time... This will happen by when I will correct it with the inputs from the proofread).

Now, back to the purpose: actually there are more than one! One embedded in the rules and one in the setting. Both of them lead to the targets I would like to achieve. Please, forgive me if you find I am too ambitious to steer these concepts in a game. Being RPGs my true passion I find it plausible, that's all: there is no willingness to be considered more than a (long winded) fan who wants to express himself through his passion.

Main purpose of the rules is outlining the importance of the role-play: this is the main feature which differentiates from any other game. This should always be the first and most important aspect. Unfortunately I do see more and more frequently that it is not taken with the proper importance in the new games. Maybe I am unlucky but there are other aspects stressed out in the recent editions of RPGs. The targets to feed this purpose is the way of playing... in the core rules I set two targets: the first one is to realize a set of rules which foster the role-play and relieve the importance of the game mechanics from the players. This is the "keep (uneducated) players uneducated", the KUP model... ah, btw I also decided to keep the acronym and logo as it is for the time being... The underlying message has changed into "keep uneducated players uneducated" which is the union of the two concepts. The second target is to revamp the importance of Morality, in other words an artifact useful to bring the audience towards a consistent view of their characters, strictly tied to the values the players decide to follow. This is antithetic to certain rules of some games which allows the players to move their characters as the momentum requires, regardless to what I call Morality.

The purpose of the setting is to show what could be the world if we all accept to live happily with what we have, without any useless need our society tries to superimpose. I am well aware that this is a strong assessment, moreover if we are talking of a game. The real point is that maybe by means of a game this purpose can be read and understood rather than more sophisticated means. The targets for the setting are again two: the first one is to show that happiness could come from a simple and plain action, by understanding that the "balance" will always offset any negative event of someone's life. This will be the "leit motiv" in setting. Similarly the second target is to show that power and wealth are not necessarly leading to the perfect life: by enjoying also different achievements, I aim to let understand the players that life is happy even if we do not reach what everyone wants (i.e. money and fame...).

Ok, ok! I am getting likely too philosophic and possibly misunderstood. What is important to my eyes is to let you know what I am looking forward to achieving with my game... (and possibly if I did get it!). 

Last comment after this long (and boring explanation): it is not a case that I want a way of play different from the traditional RPGs. This is not a target itself, it is the outcome of the purposes I have in mind.

Very last comment: I would really love to complete both rules and setting by 2024! This would be my tribute to Dave and Gary for the 50th anniversary of the creation of a game that changed my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The concept of KUP RPG (part 1)

The concept of KUP RPG (part 2)

Core Rules: what is under the hood