Cosmogony: insight and new collaboration!

Today I will present you one of the most important pieces within the VI·VIII·X KUP RPG project.

Based on my readings I found (and totally agree on) the principle that a good setting for any intellectual product, be it a book, a game or a movie, is to build it up from the scratch. Therefore any RPG setting, in order to be sound and complete should always have a backbone story of the world. I am trying to have this job done in two steps:

1. A cosmogony which tells how the world was generated; this is more tied to mythology rather than the mere chronicles of a world

2. The history of the world as it is known by humans (which for the sake of simplification we can call it the vol.2 of the cosmogony)

Let's focus on the first part for the time being: this will be a book where I leave the main pieces of info about the genesis and the characters that played a role in the creation of the world... This seems very "tolkienish" and, as a matter of fact, it is so!

The book will not be a 1000-page reading with too many details like the Silmarillon (I am not a writer, unfortunately)... This choice is done purposely for two main reasons: the first is to outline only the main events and leave room to the GMs to fill any gap they need as they prefer to customize their campaign; secondly because this book has to be a "key" to understand some main messages (for this, see my previous post on purpose and targets, please) and not to present details unimportant from my point of view.

I am writing this book in a peculiar way: just to let you understand I have been inspired by a book and a short story... Let me say it is a mix of the two (in terms of way to present the story, not in terms of contents!): the book is "The neverending story" by M.Ende, the short story is  "End of the story" by C.A.Smith.

I will not spoil any further detail about contents except for what the reader will find in it: this is the story from the genesis of the world until the most important event that affected the whole universe. It will reveal some details that will help the GMs to better understand how the setting works... In addition, it can also be a nice reading for anyone curious about the VI·VIII·X game world.

Now, as of today I am half of the way with this book... I have written the "backbone" (which should be around 30/40 pages according to the editing I will decide later on) and I need to complete it with more or less the same amount of pages of explanations and in-sights. 

Last but absolutely not least, I had the honor and pleasure to meet an artist from my town who is very talented and prone to this genre, Boranera. I met her at the presentation of her book, Codex Monstrum, which I definitely reccomend! It is written in Italian but you should buy it for her artworks: these are really outstanding and perfectly fitting to any FRPG! It is worth to purchase it. Well, Boranera accepted to help me in the customization of the text... Her artwork will add for sure an impact on the reader and I am very happy to see what will be the final product enriched with her artworks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The concept of KUP RPG (part 1)

The concept of KUP RPG (part 2)

Core Rules: what is under the hood