Genesis

It all started in 2003, I used to attend an Italian forum of RPG players and got the idea to start to draw a setting done with my features: a strong religious framework, a new magic system and a new world where myths and lore brought to these features.

Then it came to my mind that there was something more to add, something that in traditional fantasy RPGs is often latent (this doesn't mean it is absent!): it was necessary to start from the baseline and build a culture which brings also values and principles. At those time, we were living the boom of the D&D 3rd Edition... a great game but based on game mechanics and nothing more.

So I started thinking to many ideas which should factor in a "new approach": as I said, religion was a milestone, therefore it was necessary to build a sound hagiography. Along with that I felt the need to have a deeper concept of magic, it was not enough to have a good number of spells; paradoxically I didn't care (and still I don't!) about the spells... it was important to build why magic exists and how it does work.

I didn't find a great support by the fellows of the forum except for 2 friends, Anto and Madmax who tried to follow me in this crazy idea. So time passed and I found in 2006 where I had to attend an extremely boring 2-day working meeting and in that occasion I wrote nearly 10 pages (handwritten) of the story of the genesis of my world.

I was very proud of it, so proud that the story has nearly unchanged since then and it is the backbone of the setting I have in mind. Weird...

I dropped the project in 2008 and took it back in 2011... I wrote some more ideas and good points and started to write a set of rules: I didn't want to "borrow" a system for something I felt intimately mine. I stopped the following year with half of a rule book (written in Italian too!).

In 2020 I had the chance to remove two inches of dust from my folder where I stored all my stuff and started again: this time in English and with a stronger motivation than in the past... You will know soon if I achieved the first target of a very wide project.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The concept of KUP RPG (part 1)

The concept of KUP RPG (part 2)

Core Rules: what is under the hood